As a writer, I love uncovering the stories behind old treasures and there’s no better place to find beautiful items with a lot of cool history than at second hand stores!
While things have certainly changed, there are still stigmas attached to the idea of thrift shopping. However, as a lifelong thrifter and fashion enthusiast who has curated a closet filled with treasures, I highly recommend you give it a try!
Whether you’re wanting to dive into the resellers world, want to save money, or are just curious about the experience, I’ve got some useful tips to help you on your thrifting journey.
First, here’s a few of the reasons that I love to thrift:
- You can find beautifully unique items
- By purchasing used items, you’re not contributing to the negative environmental effects of the fashion world’s production methods
- You can save A LOT of money
- You can be extra creative (I love adding my own crafty touches to things that I purchase)
- It can be a calming process (something is calming about searching through racks of clothing looking for hidden gems)
- It’s a fun experience to share with friends
I’ve been a thrift shopper for my entire life. At times, I’ve thrift shopped because financially, I had no other option. Still, for the majority of my life, I choose to thrift because I love the experience.
Along the way, I’ve learned some great tips that I’d like to share
7 Thrifting Tips
- Make a day out of it Thrift stores are often grouped together in areas, which makes them especially easy to visit within a single afternoon. So, choose a day to go thrift shopping and make a day out of it. It can be a tedious process and isn’t always ideal if you only have a small amount of time, so I recommend grabbing a friend and making a date out of it! If you’d like to become a regular thrifter, choose a day to shop each week, biweekly, or monthly, etc.
Check out the specials! Some thrift stores offer student and senior discounts, as well as weekly and monthly specials.
Familiarize yourself with the store’s specials, sign up for their newsletters, follow their social media and take advantage of the savings!
- Keep a list
Keep a list of what you’re needing. Most of the time, you’re not going to find exactly what you need when you go out thrift shopping (though, when it does happen, it’s exciting!). However, you’ll often find rare items during the offseason, so keep a list with you that will help you remember the things you want in case you spot them!
I also make Pinterest inspiration boards to help me stay focused on the style I’m looking to curate.
- Season Change Early fall and spring are times that people tend to clean out their closets and are an excellent time to score some exceptional items!
- Ask Talk to an employee at your local thrift store and ask if they put new items out on a specific day. If they do, this could help you be first in line for new stock!
- Be Creative
My favourite reason to thrift shop (besides the excellent deals) is the fact that I’m often scoring some totally unique items! Plus, if you’re crafty, it can be a lot of fun to customize your thrift items!
Don’t be afraid to try something out of your comfort zone. Some of my favourite pieces in my wardrobe are things I didn’t think were “me.” You won’t know until you try and a thrift store is a great place to try different styles for a low cost.
- Give Back Don’t forget to clean out your own closet every now and then (mostly to make room for new items) and to donate your gently used items back to thrift stores for someone else to use.
Fellow thrifty shoppers, do you have any tips to share? Any stories about excellent finds?